Thursday 14 August 2014

CHALLENGE: OVER BY OCTOBER

My beauty stash is forever growing and, much to my dismay, I can't use up products fast enough to justify buying more; so I'm doing something about it. The easy solution would probably be to stop buying new things, but instead I'm challenging myself to finish off a (fairly hefty) list of products with a deadline: October 1st.

I had a look through every drawer and ended up pulling out quite a few bits which I should have been done with ages ago. Some have just a few uses worth of product left, and others are going to require a bit of work to finish up by the deadline.

I didn't really have a number of products in mind so the list ended up being quite long. I have to say, this post is a little self-indulgent but I needed some motivation. I'll take you through what I'm hoping will be good and empty in a month and a half's time. Let's do this!

The Primers

For someone who professes to "not really get primers", I sure do have a lot of them. 3 out of 4 of these are samples so the list becomes slightly more manageable than it seems at first glance. Even once I'm done with these, I still have way too many on my hands so it is really time to finish up these samples and move on.


Dr Brandt Pores No More Pore Refiner - When I use a pore minimising primer, I usually rotate between this and my Benefit the Porefessional (which still has a very long way to go), but I'm putting the benefit primer away for a while and am solely focusing on Dr Brandt for now. I only use this in the centre of my face, to minimise pores and smooth out the skin.
Benefit Stay Flawless 15 Hour Primer Sample - This one shouldn't be difficult. There is only a tiny bit of product left, and this is probably my favourite of the bunch of the primers I've tried. It is particularly good for oily skin and it comes in a stick making it quick and easy to apply. I may or may not have recently purchased a full size from a blog sale - oops.
Benefit Stay Don't Stray Eyeshadow Primer - When I received this in a beauty subscription I thought the tiny tube would be out of here in a few weeks, but it's really hung around. My oilier than oily lids require a bit more than just this to avoid creasing but the slight tint is good for cancelling out any veins or redness before applying shadows and can also be used under the eyes to prime.
Maybelline Dream Smooth Primer - This silicone-based primer from Maybelline was the first primer that I ever purchased but I haven't used it in a while. It does smooth out the skin, just in a different way. I've used up more than half of it and I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

The Face Products


Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - This is being chucked at the end of the time period - no matter what. This powder smashed a long time ago but for some reason I held onto it even though I only use it occasionally (probably because it is in pieces).
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer - This is a repurchase and a tried and tested favourite of mine. I'm putting this in here because I can tell there's not too much product left and my concealer drawer is bursting at the seams so thought it was best to make some room!
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - Another concealer which I love but just have too many of. I've had this particular tube for way too long, so I'm going to use up as much as possible and then get rid of this once and for all... I still have a full stash of back-ups in an array of different shades.

The Mascaras

I'm definitely a bit of a hoarder when it comes to mascaras. I'm never really sure when to chuck them so I thought it was time to set a firm expiration date for these three. They've all had their moment in the spotlight of my every-day make-up drawer for various lengths of time. I'll let you know my final consensus on each of them, once they're in the bin, and I'm a harsh critic when it comes to mascara.

Top to Bottom: L'Oreal Voluminous Extra Black Mascara, Benefit They're Real! Mascara Sample, Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Mascara Sample

The Creams

As much as I love my beauty subscriptions, it can leave me with quite a lot of partially used samples which feature heavily in this category I've named "The Creams". I rarely finish any body butter type products because I either use a different one every day or neglect them all. Not any more - September will be the month of the smooth skin!


Whish Lavender Body Butter - I raved about this in my July Favourites video which is why it's almost completely empty. It'll be sad to see it go, but I can't hold onto that last use for much longer. If I'm still missing it in a couple of months I'll get the full size.
Caudalie Day Perfecting Fluid - This is a product which I didn't get on with at first. I initially used it as a day moisturiser when in fact it isn't particularly moisturising at all. I'm still not 100% sure what it is for, except for providing SPF, but nonetheless I've been using it after my moisturiser and it feels nice so it should be gone in no time. It is perfect for topping my Liz Earle Moisturiser during the day which has no SPF.
Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser - An old favourite which seems to have been outshined in recent months but it only has a few uses left so it's getting pushed to the front of the moisturiser line. It has no SPF so it can be used day and night.
The Body Shop Satsuma Body Butter - Another body butter which has been featured in a favourites video, and then forgotten about. This strongly scented body butter is another which only has a tiny amount of product left. The smell of this moisturiser lingers for a while, so perfect if you love that sweet satsuma smell.
Vaseline Essential Moisture Lotion - Just one more body lotion for good measure! This is a cream which just does exactly what it says on the tin - cheap and cheerful. This also has a few uses left in it, so it needs to go!

Okay, that is all. Expect an update post on October 1st - I'm setting a reminder. I think this is definitely going to become a tradition for me if this is a success. I can't be the only one who is need of a little space, so feel free to give this challenge a go too. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment