Friday 12 September 2014

NEW RIMMEL APOCALIPS MATTE LIP VELVET #30LipsIn30


Let's talk new lip products! As soon as I saw the new Rimmel Apocalips Matte Lip Velvets in Boots I knew I had to give one a try. Even though I wasn't a big fan of the original Apocalips Lip Lacquers (I still have 4 - I seriously tried to like them), this new release still managed to draw me in. The packaging is the same as the original except that it's matte instead of shiny. I picked up the shade Meteoric Matte which is a deep berry-red. I've been on a bit of a berry train recently readying for fall.

The first time I tried to apply this was an utter disaster. It was pretty horrific. The formula is highly highly pigmented and the doe foot applicator has a dip in it so it picks up a lot of product. Although the design is meant to make application easy, I struggled at first. Because this is such a deep shade, if things go wrong it's pretty hard to try and fix any mistakes. I tried first with the applicator, second with a lip brush and then sort of gave up for a while.


I went back to it today and this time lined my lips with yesterday's featured #30LipsIn30 item: the Maybelline Intense Velvet Lip Pencil in Berry Much which is a really good colour match. I used the chubby pencil to outline my lips and then applying the Rimmel Apocalips on top was so much easier. As the edges of my lips need a bit of help in defining, this made a huge difference. I was seriously already considering giving this away after that first try.


I found that this didn't actually dry matte but actually left quite a glossy finish. They are more matte than the originals though, and I definitely prefer this formula. I found that they made my lips look more plump and full and I am really in love with the shade.


Ultimately, I think it's a thumbs up from me. There are some other crazy colours out there if you're up for the likes of the bright orange but I think I saw more of a nude pink too so something for everyone. Will you be trying this new release from Rimmel?

Tina xx

10 comments:

  1. Great post lovely, I am such a fan of the originals, so theres no doubt that I'll be giving these newbies a shot, this shade looks gorgeous, great review, keep it up :-)

    http://beautyoutlookxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the packaging! you suit this colour so much, i wish i could pull off such a strong colour! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/09/lynette-page-make-up-artistry-launch.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like the original ones either, but oh my... This is stunning!!! I've been obsessed with autumn colours too and this is perfect. It looks amazing on you! xx

    Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. the colour is beautiful, I hated the originals too but these look promising!
    GIVEAWAY | The little things in life

    ReplyDelete
  5. This entire range is wonderful for the money I think, and this shade is gorgeous!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this shade, looks so pretty on you! I must try these!
    xprincessjas | x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! The color looks beautiful on you. However, If I was in the market for a "matte" lip product, I would be disappointed by this because it appears so shiny, like you mentioned. Still a pretty color though. Thanks for letting us see exactly how it wears! xo Anna www.crazygorgeous.wordpress.com Twitter : @crzygorgeous365

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colour of this one! I'm always a bit worried that glosses will be too sticky - which is what makes me a bit wary of these.

    ReplyDelete